9.25.2005

Adventures in Blog-Tech

Welllll... Last night I thought I'd try to go to the next level, Trackbacks.

What a fiasco.

I know nothing about code, so I went to Haloscan and tried their auto-install for Blogger. I decided on that provider when I saw the trackback festival going on with some of my favorite blogs. The auto-install was not functioning, so I screwed up my nerve and manually installed the code in my template.

When I previewed the main screen, sure enough, there were the Haloscan comment/track back buttons. Cool! I'm becoming a wiz here!

So, I closed the Blogger comments and prepared myself for my new adventure.

Then I tried to "ping" one of the blogs... zonk! Nothing! The error message said the target site was not a proper trackback URL. The URL was a Haloscan site! How could it not be a proper URL?

I dunced it around for a while. Still no pingy thingie. Grrrrrrrr...

Woke up this morning and tried again, same error message. Haloscan had a very helpful message board that had a post that they were aware of the issue and asked for examples. There was no solution offered.

So, I once more screwed up my digital nerve and removed the damn code from the template and reactivated the Blogger comments button.

Voila, I'm back where I started, by the grace of God.

So, you all have a fine day, and DO NOT mess with the template code in your blog without having a good stiff drink handy to steady your nerves.

Monterey John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home