1.03.2006

It is a New Year and Time for Some New Behaviors

I looked in the mirror a little while ago and I was not happy with what I saw.

I'm going to regret putting up this post for the whole world to see, but here goes...

I am a smoker. Smoking is aging me, and frankly, I do not need any help with getting older. It also makes me fell like hell physically. I hate how it makes me feel like a slave to nicotene and not free to make other decisions. I avoid places where I can not smoke. I smell like an ashtray. The world is sending loud messages about the ugly habit, i.e. smokers are not welcome (and that is with good reason).

I have tried to do this innumerable times in the past. I can only hope that this time I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Perhaps I have hit bottom on this. I can only hope so.

So, here is the plan, kind of a modified American Cancer Society plan.

This week I swear off smoking indoors or in my car. If I want to smoke, I will go outdoors to do it. This should be doable.

Next week I will start writing down every cigarette that I smoke making me conciously aware of what I am doing each time I light a cigarette and what I was doing at the time I desired a cigarette. I will identify something different to do when the desire hits me, chewing gum, deep breaths, whatever.

The next week I will buy the patch and that will be that.

This indeed is the first day of the rest of my life.

Support, prayers and communication are welcome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of what a good example you'll set for little Ava if you don't smoke. And, of course, you'll be around for more of her life :)

Rhomylly

Friday, January 20, 2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I read this post last time I was here a couple of days ago and I didn't comment because I wanted to think about it for a while.

My 20 year old took up smoking a couple of years ago...I think to cope with a stressful job and a stressful relationship. His biggest problem is that he hangs out with a bunch of smokers. He will regret this, but it is his decision.

I should send him your post.

I will pray for you and I hope you have success...my nemesis is my weight.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home