2.14.2006

Settling Back into Reality

Reality is just a crutch for those who can't handle drugs and alcohol goes the old saw.

After a week of enjoying my brother's company and the glories of California, it's time to get on with the rest of life. My innner Bart, as in Bart Simpson, is not happy at the prospect. He would much rather play.

It is not just the routine of going back to the practice (honest, I'll get it right one of these days) of law, it's also all the other things that get to me.

While enjoying the time off last week, we had to put someone very close to me in a nursing home. Her name is Christine. (I give her name for those who are so inclined to include her in your prayers.) It was a frankly awful experience. She is 90 years old and had a psychotic dementia episode. It was no longer safe for her or us to have her in the home. Talk about sad and guilty feelings.

Folks, those are hard realities with which to deal.

So, Bart is a bit discontented right now.

But then again, there is several hours of video to edit (which will go up on Google when it's ready) and a bazillion photographs with which to work.

Can I tell a client to, "Eat my shorts?"

3 Comments:

Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
"Dooop"

I feel for you and your whanau!

The realities of life are indeed hard to deal with, but never changing. As long as time is measured man will test themselves against the virtues of loyalty, honesty and love in the realm of life.

The basis of all life is in what we give not what we recieve. The test of our characters is in the way we deal with living? Right or wrong...perhaps it has no need for an answer.

I miss my mother too but live for her today and tomorrow and on and on...Too forget the essence of where I came from would be to insult the very essence of myself.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'll include Christine in my prayers tonight. I know that had to have been a tough thing to do.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I put my dad in assisted living in September. It is gut wrenching. He seems to be relatively happy there, though.

Dementia is a devastating disease. It robs so much. I saw my grammie and now my dad deal with it. I'll pray for your Christine.

By the way...I'm glad you've added commentary to your blog. It's nice to read your perspective.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home