3.21.2006

The Beach at Malpaso

This picture demonstrates why I tend to prefer film to digital.

My experience with most digital is that the images tend to be oversaturated. This shot was taken with plain old Kodak HD 400 film on a Minolta 700si. It has not been manipulated. What you see is what you got.

At the same time, there is a slight distortion of reality in film. Perhaps it is the grain. Whatever it is, it is something I like.

I do shoot digital. I love the flexibility. I especially appreciate the fact that I can shoot multiple exposures and then pick and choose which ones I want. I also am one of those folks for whom immediate gratification is not quick enough.

Anyway, so long as I can shoot film, so long as it and processing are available, I will continue to shoot with it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Thanks for the comment on the nature shots. I prefer my style and yours also. Now if you could just find some nice scenery or something we'd all be happy!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:13:00 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

The view looks great.
I used Agfa transparency film for years, the processors went bust last year so digital it now is...thank goodness for Photoshop!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AWESOME.. Lovely shot!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

WOW, John! This is incredible. Wonderful coastline shot.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Thats a beautiful beach. Great capture!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:23:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I guess I see your point about film over digital. But the advantages of digital, for me, make it hard to go to film.

I do like this photo, though.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:03:00 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Hope you're doing well and everything's ok.

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home