6.25.2006

Homey Don't Do Mountain Lions

I was quietly enjoying a sunset atop Toro mountain tonight, trying to capture color, texture, all the usual stuff. I was just finishing up when... I met one of these at an entirely too close range.

My dear partner, Anita, asked if I got any pictures.

Got any pictures?!!!!

Yeah right, I shot them over my shoulder as I was running for my life for the car.

Good God and sweet sonny Jesus, did I get any pictures?!

Well, it's kind of funny now that I am at home in front of my computer telling the story.

Truth be known, we did not have a lot of mountain lions hanging around St. Louis. Crack dealers we had, but no mountain lions. The risk of accidentally being shot was ever present, but being eaten alive was a risk we did not encounter with great regularity.

Next time I go up there, it's going to be me and the 44 in addition to the Minolta, Canon and Fuji.

5 Comments:

Blogger micki said...

OK, so let me get this straight then...no pictures?

(I do like the sunset shot, though.)

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:05:00 AM  
Blogger Ptelea said...

I can certainly understand the "no pictures" but I wonder what your thoughts were of the cat - other than fear!

I love the color in your sunset, too!

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:41:00 AM  
Blogger Panthera said...

Love your pics ... hope you dont mind if I put you up as a link on my photoblogs

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:09:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

The sunset shot is very lovely.

Given the choice between crack dealers and mountain lions, I think I prefer the mountain lions. In NJ gang violence and drugs is a huge problem, not only in the big cities but it has infiltrated the small towns in the suburbs as well. Rich, poor it doesn't matter.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

John, I can't believe that you passed up such a great photographic opportunity! :-)

Recently, when I was in Big Sur, CA in one of the state parks there was a sign about mountain lions and that you should not walk through the park alone, because they have been known to attack people, especially children! My 14 year old son was pretty uncomfortable with that fact. :-)

Well, I USUALLY go in the early morning, by myself, but I made an exception and decided against it ... just this time. :-)

I'd rather see them from:
1 - A distance
2 - At the zoo!

Paul

Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home