5.31.2006

The San Juaquin Valley


The Central Valley of California does not get a lot of attention from photographers, but it is a natural wonder. It is perhaps the most fertile place on earth. I shot the first image from a hilltop overlooking I-5 just south of Tracy. The California Aquaduct, which brings this place to life, can be seen just to the left of the highway.

The second image is shot at the mouth of the Pachecho Pass where I enter the valley after crossing over the coastal hills from Monterey on the way to Sacramento. The shape and texture of the hills are quite nice. Later in the summer these hills are likely to be black from grassfires.

4 Comments:

Blogger jkirlin said...

What a great vista. I like trees...but I loooooooove vistas. You can't see ANYWHERE in Maine. :) This is great.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 5:52:00 PM  
Blogger micki said...

Both of these are absolutely incredible shots! The beauty of the area just shines through.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:33:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I can't believe the hills have gone brown already. Ours are still mostly green but the farmers are starting to go through their fields and mow down the green stuff. Nice shots.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

The color of the hills is so unusual to me at least. I guess it's pretty dry.

Great views.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 6:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home